Senior Program Director Asheville
The Program Director II is responsible for program development and operations of multiple assigned program areas, including Aquatics and Sports. Within these areas the Program Director II is responsible for direct leadership, program development, financial development, innovation, volunteer recruitment, community relations, partnerships, risk management, budgeting and financial results. The Program Director II is guided by Executive Leadership, YMCA operating principles, Association Leadership Norms and must operate in a manner consistent with our organizational values.
1. Provide vision, strategy and leadership for the Aquatics and Sports departments at the Downtown Asheville YMCA.
2. Provide strategic and tactical direction in support of program growth and innovation to Woodfin YMCA and Ferguson Family YMCA in regards to sports and aquatics programming.
3. Maintain the quality and ensure that the needs of the members and the community are met within the Aquatics and Sports departments.
4. Provide strong recruitment, development, and succession planning processes to insure the hiring, professional development and retention of high quality staff. Develop strategies to motivate and achieve goals.
5. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations. Assists with interpreting Association goals, objectives, and policies to the community and direct-reports.
6. Maintain up to date knowledge of programs and trends to include aquatics and sports. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in programs and employ corrective strategies as needed.
7. Respond to member and participant concerns in a timely manner, addressing both customer service and safety concerns.
8. Provides leadership and support to the annual campaign and volunteer committees/boards as assigned. Develops and maintains effective working relationships within the community.
9. Meet weekly with full time direct reports to check-in, coach and ensure up to date knowledge of happenings in each department.
10. Sets operational and performance goals for assigned staff which are achievable and aligned with long-term goals and strategies.
11. Develop and maintain relationships with current and potential funding sources, both private and public.
12. Ensure branding, communication and marketing meet Association standards and portray the voice of the YMCA.
13. Represent and articulate the Association’s Healthy Living and Youth Development strategies and programs to individuals and organizations throughout the community, developing collaborative relationships with key stakeholders.
14. Represents the YMCA with key community organizations and events.
The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
15. Monitor monthly financial reports to assure that revenue targets are met and expenses are controlled. Complete variance reports and forecast updates monthly. Adjust operations as needed to achieve fiscal targets.
16. Fosters a climate of innovation and collaboration to develop member-focused programs and leads assigned staff in the planning, development and implementation of new and innovative, cutting edge program initiatives and activities.
17. Ensures the implementation of the Association's risk management program at the sports sites and the Asheville YMCA to ensure safe facilities and programs for members, volunteers and staff.
18. Ensures that all the policies of the organization are implemented, including Financial, Human Resources, and Program Policies.
19. Conduct 3 Stewardship Sessions with prospective donors monthly.
20. Provides leadership to other areas as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree in program area or related field or equivalent education/experience.
2. Four or more years of related experience including leader and volunteer supervision, community program development, financial management, and fund raising.
3. Two or more years of aquatics leadership experience required.
4. Broad knowledge of programs and proven experience in building communities within a center structure.
5. Experience in setting high standards, motivating a team, seeks out personal development opportunities and ways to develop others with strong growth in previous positions/programs.
6. Understanding of the nature and purpose of the YMCA and the roles of volunteers and staff.
7. Prefer knowledge of and previous experience with, diverse populations (language, culture, race, physical ability, sexual orientation, etc.) with examples of inclusion and equity.
8. YMCA Team Leader certification preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Must be able to see, hear and speak clearly.
2. Must be able to lift 20 lbs.
3. Must be able to sit and focus for prolonged periods of time.
4. Must be able to maintain required BLS certifications.
5. Must be able to maintain required Aquatics Certifications including Lifeguarding and YMCA Swim Lessons Instructor.
The YMCA of WNC does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, faith, gender, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, sexual preference, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies.