Gamecock Entertainment Undergraduate Intern
The Gamecock Entertainment Undergraduate Internship is designed to give aspiring event management and entertainment industry seekers hands-on experience in event development, management, production, budgeting, and more. This position will serve as the primary point of contact for the development and execution of the Thursday After Dark program. Launched in Spring 2019, Thursday After Dark (TAD) is the newest late night initiative out of the Gamecock Entertainment unit that provides consistent, late night events each Thursday around Columbia during the fall, spring, and summer semesters. Interns will gain competencies in program research, planning and development; budget management; volunteer supervision; programmatic assessment; and risk management, while working to plan and execute events such as comedy shows, concerts, trivia nights, and other special events and outings. This position will also support other department initiatives such as football watch parties, outdoor movies, Cockstock and Springfest concerts, Cocky’s Call & First Night Carolina, and other large scale student programs. Serving as a key member of the Gamecock Entertainment team, the undergraduate intern will work closely with the Gamecock Entertainment staff to evolve and develop new and innovative entertainment offerings for the UofSC student body.
Gamecock Entertainment at the University of South Carolina encompasses the primary student programming entities and spirit organizations that provide entertainment and vibrancy to the Carolina Community. Each of these programs have their own unique events and offerings for students, faculty, and staff throughout the year. The various events are held both on and off-campus, and the programs are envisioned, planned, executed, and evaluated by students with support of the Gamecock Entertainment staff.
Areas of Responsibility:
1. Plan, envision, and execute events (included but not limited to events stated above) during evening and weekend hours
2. Assist in booking events and working with on and off-campus partners for potential collaborations
3. Track event expenses and assist in budget management for future spending
4. Develop marketing strategies to publicize TAD events to the campus community
5. Research best practices for campus activity programming within SEC and aspirant institutions
6. Develop and implement measurement tools in conjunction with Gamecock Entertainment staff to evaluate program quality, effectiveness, and impact
7. Ensure ethical standards, effective risk management, and compliance with university policies and procedures in all program planning and execution, as well as related activities and tasks
8. Perform other duties as assigned
Driven, resourceful, and forward thinking undergraduate student perusing a degree in Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management; Detailed-oriented; Able to coordinate multiple events simultaneously for on-time project delivery; Self-starter and able to initiate own tasks and projects; Must be able to conduct yourself in a professional manner always.
Commitment and Compensation:
Twenty (20) hours per week. Weekend and evening work is required. Schedule will be based around classes and other scheduled activities. The anticipated start date is mid-August 2020 with the internship term ending at the close of the Fall 2020 semester. Renewal for the position is contingent on graduation date and semester review with Program Advisor. Compensation is available.
Email resume and cover letter to Courtney Buzan at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 24, 2020. Position will remain open until filled.