Department of Student Life, Student Assistant
The student assistant is a vital part of the Department of Student Life. In this position, a thorough knowledge of campus life, ongoing university activities and basic university policies are essential. A calm, confident and professional demeanor is also important as the Student Life student assistant will serve as an ambassador for the Department of Student Life. A professional appearance is important as the student assistant will be one of the first points of contact for those visiting the Department of Student Life. While specific duties are outlined below, we are looking for students who are outgoing, have excellent customer service skills and are enthusiastic about helping others. Compensation for the student assistant starts at $8.00/hour. Applicants must be full-time students in good academic standing. Work study is preferred but not required.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Greet all visitors in a friendly, professional manner.
2. Answer the Student Life and Parents Assistance Line phone calls, assist callers and transfer the caller to the appropriate staff member and/or office when necessary; take messages as required.
3. Disseminate up-to-date and accurate information concerning events, activities and services. Exhibit general knowledge of UofSC and Student Life, staying aware of departmental and university events to best assist callers.
4. Track all Parents Assistance Line phone calls in the online Parents Tracking System.
5. Engage visitors in conversations to determine how to best assist them. Distribute mail to staff and Greek organization mailboxes. Make deliveries on-campus including regular mail delivery to the Russell House and Osborne Administration Building. Sign for package delivery and notify organizations if a package needs to be picked up.
6. Assist any student, parent, staff, or other visitor who may visit the office, and direct them to the appropriate person accordingly.
7. Make sure the office looks presentable, and ensure that the main office reception area is professional in appearance.
8. Assist with special (Student Life) events that may be taking place throughout the campus.
9. Assist staff in special projects, which may include copying, filing, putting informational packets together and other general office duties.
10. Reply to emails from SAGREEKS or SASLIFE accounts in a timely and insightful manner.
11. Work with chapter presidents to go over roster updates.
12. Reply to and assist student organizations with inquiries regarding reimbursements and proper documentations.
13. Check the office printers and copiers to make sure they are supplied with paper, and generally check the work area for any needed supplies.
14. Attend required training sessions and staff meetings.
15. Review operational systems to ensure process is efficient.
1. Reliability and strong customer service skills.
2. Must excel at trying new things and taking initiative.
3. Ability to operate calmly and efficiently in a fast-paced office.
4. Strong intention to learn more about UofSC and the Department of Student Life.